Rupert Murdoch says ‘nothing’s happening at Fox News.’ Here’s a list of ‘nothing.’ – Washington Post

Whoever is in charge of briefing Rupert Murdoch on company affairs must really be dropping the ball. The executive chairman of 21st Century Fox told a BBC journalist Monday that “nothing’s happening at Fox News.”

I know that Murdoch ceded some power to his sons a couple of years ago, but you’d think that James and Lachlan would at least keep their old man in the loop, right?

I’m kidding, of course. And Murdoch is kidding himself, if he thinks anyone buys into his breathtaking denial.

Murdoch’s exchange with the BBC’s Amol Rajan was pretty short — it was an impromptu interview on the street in New York — so I’ve annotated the full transcript, below, using Genius. To see an annotation, click on the yellow, highlighted text.

I’ve also compiled a timeline of all the “nothing” that has been happening at Fox News in the past 10 months.

RAJAN: Rupert, it’s Amol Rajan from the BBC. Are you worried about Ofcom at all?

MURDOCH: No.

RAJAN: Hello.

MURDOCH: You should be worried about the BBC yourselves.

RAJAN: I should be worried. Are you worried about the Ofcom deal and what this scandal might do for Ofcom? Do you have any concerns about what Ofcom might say about what’s happening at Fox News?

MURDOCH: Nothing’s happening at Fox News.

RAJAN: Nothing whatsoever?

MURDOCH: It’s getting record ratings and record—

RAJAN: Sorry?

MURDOCH: Fox News is getting record ratings and, so, I’m not worried at all.

RAJAN: And you don’t think Ofcom are going to consider what’s happening at Fox News?

MURDOCH: Nothing’s happening at Fox News. Nothing, okay?

RAJAN: You lost three of your top people. That’s something, isn’t it? These are sexual and racial harassment allegations.

MURDOCH: Not the third person at all. Nothing against him. And the other two are quite separate, so, goodbye.

Back in the real world, here’s what’s been happening at Fox News:

July 6, 2016: Former “Fox & Friends” host Gretchen Carlson files a lawsuit alleging sexual harassment by the network’s chairman, Roger Ailes.

July 19, 2016: As other women come forward with accusations that mirror Carlson’s, New York magazine reports that Fox News megastar Megyn Kelly told investigators hired by the network that she, too, was sexually harassed by Ailes.

July 21, 2016: Ailes resigns under pressure.

Aug. 12, 2016: Fox News names Bill Shine and Jack Abernethy co-presidents, handing them the authority previously held by Ailes.

Sept. 6, 2016: Fox News host Greta Van Susteren, who had publicly defended Ailes, announces she is leaving the network. She later joins MSNBC.

Jan. 3, 2017: Kelly announces she is leaving Fox News for NBC.

April 1, 2017: The New York Times reports that Fox News host Bill O’Reilly and the network have paid a total of $13 million to five women over the years to settle claims of sexual harassment and inappropriate conduct. O’Reilly says the charges were baseless and that he only settled to spare his family anguish.

April 3, 2017: Mercedes-Benz and Hyundai pull advertising from O’Reilly’s prime-time show, setting off an advertiser exodus that ultimately includes dozens of companies.

April 19, 2017: Fox News fires O’Reilly.

April 25, 2017: Eleven current and former Fox News employees file a class-action lawsuit in New York State Supreme Court alleging racial discrimination by the network. Another former employee files a separate discrimination suit in federal court in the Southern District of New York, and a 13th person submits a complaint to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

May 1, 2017: Shine resigns.

Besides that, nothing’s happening at Fox News.

Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*